Several weeks ago, while at Kroger, I purchased a package of two Rubbermaid 20 oz. reusuable BPA free bottles with a flip top lid. I paid $6.89 for the pair. Which is pricey, but in light of being able to reuse them, and not have to buy anymore bottles of water for Brian's lunch, I new within a month, they'd pay for themselves. However, I was a bit concerned over how these water bottles would go over with Brian, as he tends to be a bit on the particular side. Well, as it turns out, I need not have worried about it, he didn't skip a beat, and actually commented on how if it saves us money, he's all for it. From my perspective, it wasn't just about saving money. It was more about the chemicals used to make the bottles that bottled water comes in, and of course the environmental impact of all those empty plastic bottles. Saving money was just the icing on the cake, so to speak.
So, I had been washing the bottles nightly, refilling them with filtered water, and placing them in the fridge to chill overnight. It was getting to a tedious task, but a worthwhile one. I decided to look into getting some more of these reusable bottles. I decided to look into getting them at Meijer, after I couldn't find what I wanted at Wal-Mart. They had the same two packs but for almost a dollar cheaper...and cheaper is good!! I placed them in my cart, and then picked up 2 individual 12oz. bottles that I knew would fit inside the kids' lunch boxes. YIKES!! They were $2.99 each, but again, decided the investment was worth it in the long run...no more juice pouches, boxes, or other bottles that leaked. I was even able to get them each a bottle that matched the color of their lunch box...yup, I'm just that cool!! lol Anyway, I added their bottles to my cart, and headed down a main aisle, towards the HBA side of the store. And there they were, on a tiny end cap, along with some other marked down household goods, a 4-pack of the exact same Rubbermaid 20oz. bottles....for $5.99!! They were originally $9.99 (still a better deal than the 2-packs) marked down to $5.99!! I just couldn't believe my luck!! So what did I do?!?! I bought two 4-packs! They will come in very handy this summer, at the ball field!!
I was even able to resurrect my old baby bottle dryer, to use for these water bottles. It was an amazing deal, and I am anxious to see how much money we'll save from not buying cases of bottled water anymore!! Considering Brian went through at least 4 bottles per day, just in his lunch bucket!! That is a lot of plastic!! The kids haven't yet begun using their bottles yet, as I have a surplus of juice boxes & pouches to go through. But they will be put into use before the end of the school year, that's for sure!!
Now, my next mission is to get us all recycling more!!
WIS, WWA | kombucha observation
13 hours ago
2 comments:
I've got one of those bottles. You're right, they are great! I like the wide mouth, so you can put in ice cubes more easily.
Good idea on the bottle dryer too!
I love these things, and I'm looking forward to being able to use them in the kids' lunches. But not until my juice pouch/box stash is gone!! I like these better than the ones with their own straws...you can never get those clean enough!!
Post a Comment