For the first time this year, I've made it to the 2nd half of a month, and haven't totally blown the grocery budget!! Now, while to most, this is no big deal, I mean it is only April 16th after all, AND we have a major holiday coming up as well. My goal is to actually come in this month, UNDER budget. I have budgeted the same amount for groceries each month since New Year's Day. And each month, I've gone over budget now by a few dollars, but by many dollars, sometimes even a hundred dollars or more. There is no excuse for that what so ever. I am adamant about coming in under budget this month that I am planning to have at least $25 leftover on April 30th. If I am successful, I'm going to stash it away, and use it to buy Brian (us) a new grill for Father's Day, unless he goes out and buys one before then.
We have some venison that my mother in law has been storing for us in her freezer. I'm going to use up more of that, before buying any more beef. I'm also going to cut back on my Market Day orders as well. I used to place $100+ Market Day orders every month, but slowly this year, I've cut way back, only purchasing the few items that we actually love & enjoy the most (their sweet corn is superb, and the girl & I love their seasoned salmon).
I need to get or be more creative with the food we already have on hand. I made a vegetable beef soup earlier this month, that Brian just raved about. Okay...he didn't rave about it, but he did mention that it was pretty good, which is saying a lot! I used up leftover corn & green beans in this soup, and that's something I never would have done before.
With the warmer temps, and sunshiny days this past week, I utilized my clothes lines, only using my dryer to dry a small load of bath towels. I am hoping my efforts to use my clothes lines more this year will reflect well on our electric bill. The bill itself has steadily declined since January 1st, but I'd like to see it get to around $100 before the true, real heat of summer kicks in, and the A/C is blowing away! Last month is was $154, so I know it's a plausible goal.
The dishwasher is usually run 2-3 times per week. I only run it when it's completely full, and I run the hot water faucet till it is steaming, before I start the dishwasher. This keeps the dishwasher from having to work so hard to heat the water during the wash cycles. It may only save a few cents each time I run it, but they do add up over time. I also let my clean dishes air dry as opposed to letting the dishwasher do it.
I am still putting a plan together to off set money spent at the concession stands during baseball season. This will be especially difficult, as I love the big soft pretzels from the ball park!! As do my kids. So, the pretzels will have to be a once in awhile treat, and we'll have to pack snacks & drinks to take with us. I do like to support the organizations that benefits from the proceeds of concession sales, but not to the degree where we could have gone to a sit down restaurant and had dinner as a family, from the money it can cost to buy drinks, food, & snacks from the concession stands. Like I said, a once in awhile treat.
As you know, way back in January, I had on my 2011 To-Do list, to get serious about my health. Well, my friends, the time has come for me to speak with actions and not just words. I must do something about my weight now rather than later. I have too many things (genetics) working against me to let it continue to go on like this. It's not going to be easy at all. In fact, I think it was far easier for me to quit smoking than this journey will be for me. But I know I can do it. And I will be counting on you all for support. I have decided that, for now, I'm just going to watch my portion sizes, and eat more whole foods & lean meats. Drink more water, and start walking some. I have no desire to completely eliminate any foods from my diet. Every time I've done that in the past, it's always back fired. I bought a harness for our dog Shadow, and it seems to help control him better while on a leash. I'm going to start small, and gradually add more to my routine. It's purely about my health right now. And for the record, I haven't had any scares or episodes, but I am hoping to keep them from happening. I'm going to try and be proactive as opposed to reactive, about my health. Wish me luck!! I'm gonna need it!
Love & hugs to you all!
WIS, WWA | kombucha observation
13 hours ago
2 comments:
Angie, I'm with ya on the whole weight loss thing. I've got about 45 lbs. to lose. It's so hard with little ones in the house, and DH always doing homework when he's home so I can't get out on my own for a run. I downloaded some exercise videos from Netflix. I tried doing a video once a few months ago. That lasted a whole 4 minutes before my boys were both bawling their eyes out needing me. But I'm gonna try again. Like you, I haven't had a health crisis, but I am tired of not fitting into any of my pre-boys clothes.
I've been doing the all things in moderation diet, too. A friend of mine told me something that makes sense ... sometimes, all you need is just a taste of something (usually sweets) to satisfy you. She's right ... a tiny slice of cake is just as satisfying as a big slab, LOL!
Post a Comment