Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Some good clean fun

Over this past weekend, my son, bugged me to no end about making a soap monster. You see, the kids have this books that has many fun, and interesting experiments & craft type activities. One of these activities was making a soap monster. When he told me that this involved placing a bar of soap into my microwave, I was adamant. There was no way I was going to willingly allow my son to do such a thing. I was absolutely certain that this so called "experiment" would end up leaving my microwave in ruins. Okay...not ruins, but at least a huge mess to clean up. I was positive about this. It. was. not. going. to happen. PERIOD!!

Fast forward 3 days, and my son was still bugging me about making a snow monster. Have you ever met my son? Well, he relentlessly pestered, bothered, and annoyed me until it happened. I caved. Yes, folks, I finally raised my white flag and surrendered. I could not take his constant begging & pleading. This past Monday evening, while Brian was coming to his mom's rescue (with all the storms & rain we got, she had a small leak in her basement), I explained two things to my son. One: if said soap monster ruins my microwave, he was paying for a new one; and two: if said soap monster makes an utter & complete mess of my microwave, he was responsible for cleaning it up. He agreed, and we shook on it. Sarah said should make him pinky swear to my conditions, but I wasn't sure if pinky swears were the same for boys as they are for girls. But none the less, he knew that if anything went wrong, he was a goner!! lol

The experiment actually calls for soap that floats (Ivory anyone?), but of course we don't use it, so we had none in the house. Again, I explained to Andy that this experiment may not work since we didn't have the right type of soap. All we had was Lever 2000. He placed a bar on a paper plate, and set the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. I couldn't watch, so I checked  email while the soap was being nuked beyond oblivion. All I could hear from my kitchen was "WHOA!" and "COOOOOOL!" and WOOOOOOOW!" When I saw the finished product, aka soap monster, even I was kind of in awe, and wanted to see how it happened. So I asked Sarah if she wanted to try one. I didn't have to ask her twice and she was off to grab her own bar of Lever 2000. Again, we placed the bar of soap onto a paper plate, and nuked it for a minute & a half. It was so cool to watch this bar of soap transform itself for a solid bar to well, check it out for yourself!! Ain't it cool!?!?
You really can't tell from this picture, but you can still read the Lever 2000, on the bar of soap. And just so you know, Sarah's been using pieces of her soap monster, for hand washing in the kids' bathroom. The soap used for this experiment will not be going to waste.

I'll have to have the kids dig out their book with the experiments in it, so I can post the instructions on how to make your very own soap monster.

I thought it would be nice to blog about something other than frugality, saving money, budgets, etc.
Love & hugs to you all! =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think my DH would want to try this. He's just a big boy in man skin.