Friday, April 15, 2011

Food Waste Friday

Well, today things are looking up in the food waste department. I have finally gotten the hubster on board with eating up leftovers or repurposing them into an entire new dish, so I have no leftovers to report this week. However, I had to toss some fresh produce...some of it was purchased marked down, and we didn't use it up quite fast enough...totally my fault!! And I also found a baggie containing 3 slices of French toast that I probably should have tossed in the freezer to avoid the loss, but instead, it got pushed WAY back into the fridge, and was lost until yesterday afternoon. It had been in there for at least 2 weeks!! UGH!! Anyway...here is my list of wasted food: *hanging head in shame*
  • 3 slices French toast (that I made at least 2 weeks ago-yuck)
  • 1/2 a package of fresh strawberries
  • lg. head of marked down cauliflower..it was slimy and moldy. Ewww!! I just never got around to cutting it into little florets for snacks & lunches *Sigh*
  • 1 "go-gurt" tube....son did not eat it, and did not tell me, until it had already reached room temperature. I hate this kind of waste the most!!!
As I said, the last two weeks, we've used up leftovers, either by using them for lunches or dinners. Brian complained only once, because he got leftover Italian sausage sandwiches, while the kids & I had "fresh" grilled cheese sandwiches with soup. He didn't want soup, so I warmed the sausages up and slapped them on buns, and served them with some potato chips & green salad! What I didn't tell him, was that I had planned on using those sausages for a cheese tortellini dish that is similar to one I'd had at Olive Garden last year. Oh well....I doubt I'll get many more complaints in the future about eating leftovers though.

Love & hugs to you all!

No comments: