Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Thrifting @ GW Fashions* for boys/mens clothes

Recently, I've begun a love affair with thrifting. If you are a parent of young children, you are fully aware of just how quickly they outgrow their clothes, shoes, etc. It's painful to the pocketbook, and I am not immune to the suffering. I have enjoyed, and still enjoy buying nice new clothing for my children. And let's face it, if you have a daughter, as a mom, you tend to enjoy shopping for girls things more than boys stuff. My daughter has a certain taste (she likes to shop at Justice)...it's a more classic look rather than trendy, and hey...I'm more than okay with that. For me, it means being able to find cute things for her, as reasonable prices, especially when thrift shopping. However boys things are a little harder to come by at thrift stores. For starters, boys are usually a lot harder on their clothing than girls are, and well, let's face it, the availability of cute...er...um, nice boys clothes is very slim. A lot of the graphic tees available for boys/young men, to me, border on inappropriate at best, some are just downright vulgar. And finding decent used jeans or slacks at thrift stores, for boys, is nearly impossible, unless your son wears a toddler size. However, if I can save money by purchasing shirts, sweaters, jackets, etc. at Goodwill Fashions* I find that to be a win win situation. And now that my son is wearing men's sized shirts (he has very broad shoulders and he's a little on the husky side), finding nice shirts at Goodwill has become much easier!! Here is a sampling of the shirts I found for him last week, while my mother in law & I went thrifting.
As I said, this is just a sampling, but I bought him a nice black pullover OSU hoodie, 2 button down Gap shirts, 2 Izod polos, 2 camouflage tees from Cabelas, 1 button down Dockers shirt, and 2 t-shirts; the patriotic one on the right, and a plain beige tee. There were also 2 Sonoma brand (from Kohl's) t-shirts. So I bought 14 shirts for my son, for less than $20!! You can't beat that, and he'll have a few nice shirts for school next year. I just wish I could find him some decent pants, but I can shop sales at Kohl's & Sears for his jeans, and keep looking at Goodwill & other thrift stores. On a side note, I was able to find a pair of Levi's, in Brian's size, that looked fairly new, at Goodwill....I paid $5.99 for the pair. The last time I was at Kohl's, their price (non-sale, that is) was $54 a pair!! WOW!! I knew the price of cotton, thus the price of clothing was going up, but HOLY SMOKES!! I'll keep looking for jeans for Brian as well!! He's almost as bad as my son on his clothes!! Stay tuned for my post on what I found for Sarah at Goodwill!

Happy Thrifting!

No comments: