Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Garden Plans-rough draft


With spring in the air, even though there is snow in this week's forecast, I've been doing a lot of thinking about our vegetable garden for this year. I know what I'll be planting, I'm just not sure how much I'll be planting at this particular time. This photo is just a rough draft of what I'd like to plant this spring. However, it's just a basic rough draft. I'm not sure if I'll plant 6 rows of beans or not. I may knock it back to just 4 rows. Also, I may plant 3 rows of 5 tomato plants as opposed to 2 rows of 6 plants, as shown in the photo. I do know one thing...I sure hope to plant some pumpkins, for pie puree. I just do not want to cram them in there, and then they not grow very well. I only want to plant 2 or 3 "hills" of pumpkins, and I've already got the seeds for sugar pumpkins (pie pumpkins). I figure if I can get at least 3 decent sized pumpkins, I'll be able to make enough pumpkin puree to make 6-8 pumpkin pies. Brian prefers fresh pumpkin to the canned pumpkin, and I'd like to obliged him once in awhile. I also found these cucumber trellises, in a catalog, that are propped up on one side, allowing extra, somewhat shaded growing space, that I'd like to purchase. They are 4' square, so if I had two of them, I could plant lettuce throughout the summer, and it wouldn't wilt and/or bolt in the summer heat. However, I need to show them to Brian before I order them; he may be able to make me something that will work just the same, yet cost little to no money. And have mentioned that I want to add to our fruit tree collection?!?! We lost one of my plum trees, and we need two plums for pollination, so I need to get another plum tree, but I'd also like to add another peach tree, and also a Honeycrisp, and perhaps a Golden Delicious apple tree, as well. I've gotten recommendations from a few friends about Stark Bros. and I've read their reviews!! So we'll see what happens, and I'll keep you posted on the garden plans as well go.

So how 'bout you? Do you have plans to grow your own fruits & veggies this year? It's an amazingly easy and somewhat inexpensive way to reduce your food expense. And if you don't have the room for a large in-ground garden, container gardening, or small raised beds would be perfect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's a bit warmer where I live, so I've already got "some" of my garden planted. The broccoli and cabbage that I started indoors have already been planted outside in the soil. I also planted some spinach and carrots in the garden soil this weekend, because they can withstand a little frost.

I got some flowers started from seed, and they need to go into my flowerbeds soon.

I started some cukes, lettuce, and watermelon in seed cups this weekend. I still need to get some more lettuce and cantalope started. My tomatoes and peppers have already sprouted, and they are waiting for the weather to warm up a little more before I set them outside for good.

I also want to get some beets started. But I started some collard greens this past fall, and they are still small, but they are alive, so I can going to keep them where they are. I think the leaves that blew over them mulched them enough that they survived.

It sounds like a lot, but my garden will be smaller than usual, since my two little ones are into EVERYTHING. Keeping them occupied outside for me to get the gardening chores done is a real challenge.

Oh, we planted five blueberry bushes and a fig tree a couple of weeks ago. Next year I want to get a peach tree and a strawberry bed started.

Happy Gardening!

Coolwhip said...

I won't be able plant anything until 1.) the garden is tilled, and 2.) after May 20th or so. However, I would like to get my lettuce, radishes, & onions planted by mid-April, but that's not going to happen. I'm dependent on Brian tilling the garden for me. It's one of the reasons I want to try those cuke trellises I saw in the Garden Supply Co. catalog; I would have the needed support for the cukes, but also some shade for the lettuce, to keep it from bolting.

I have some concord grapes, red & black raspberries, and 2 blueberry bushes planted as well as the fruit trees we alredy have: 2 winesap & 1 fuji apple, 2 bartlet pears, 1 peach (can't remember the type), and now the one plum (I believe it's called Stanley).

Someday, I'd like to be a little more self sufficient than we are right now. Growing at least 60% of our fruits & veggies, some laying hens for eggs, etc. Someday....

Good luck with your garden!! Sounds like it's going to be a good one!! Are you in the midwest?