Monday, March 14, 2011

The Pantry Stockpile / Monday Menu

I've been thinking about our pantry, and how much we have stockpiled. I readily admit that I have a problem when it comes to stocking our pantry...I have this fear, in the back of my mind, and as irrational as it may sound, this fear is real, that something might happen: Brian could lose work, get hurt & not be able to work, or worse....and then how would I feed my family?!? My childhood, I know, plays a role in this fear I have of not having enough on hand, should some catastrophic event occur, but I am admitting that I do indeed have a problem. As you'll see in the photo below, there is no way to deny it!! *sigh*























As you can see, and this is just the right side of our pantry, I have some work to do, to use up a lot of these groceries!! And this really doesn't show you the whole picture...I'll have to try and get a better photo, and post an update later this week. Anyway...I have my work cut out for me that's for sure!!

And now my menu plan for this week...

MONDAY MENU

Monday: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, & corn
Tuesday: grilled salmon, fried potatoes, & salads
Wednesday: pizzas (most likely frozen ones--I have Market Day sale tonight)
Thursday: grilled steaks, baked potatoes, & green beans
Friday: lasagna, salads, & garlic toast
Saturday: oven "fried" chicken, potatoes and/or rice pilaf, & salads
Sunday: roast beef, potatoes, & corn

2 comments:

Shawn said...

It is a perfectly rational irrational fear! I have the exact same fear! Now my stockpile pales in comparison to yours, but I can totally relate and am slightly envious of your pantry!!! :) I can tell you exactly when my fear became too much to bear as well. Not having enough as a kid surely plays a part, but the biggest thing is when John and I separated when I was 5 months pregnant with Brooklyn, it was ugly and I can say he is a completely changed man from the jerk he was then! Anyway, I struggled to feed Sydney and Jordan and keep my pregnant self fed, so when I got my taxes back that year I stuffed my cabinets full and really haven't stopped since! John teased me about it once, and only once, in front of his mom, who quickly smacked him in the back of the head and reminded him exactly why I do what I do! I tell myself every week that I won't need to go to the grocery store the next week, but guess where I end up...all because the sale is too good to pass up! With Johns OT drying up over the past 2 years it has come in handy to have an over stock of things, but generally I do waste A LOT!!! I just cleaned my fridge/freezer out this weekend and I literally have no clue how so much was stuffed in there! I even found a corned beef brisket from LAST YEAR!!! So while it is irrational, it is also so rational to me!!! Haha!!

Coolwhip said...

Thanks for making me feel like I'm not insane!! With the economy the way it is, all the unrest in the middle east, and now the disaster in Japan...well, I guess you could say I'm feeling a little better about having my stockpile!! It's just a scary time for everyone!