Saturday, January 29, 2011

Spring Gardening

I have been working on planning our vegetable garden. Like last year, I'll only be buying heirloom seeds & plants to grow in my garden. Not only because of their rich history, but because of their authenticity. For the last few years, I've been reading more & more about how certain products we buy in the grocery store have been genetically modified, or have been raised or grown using hormones, chemicals, & additives. It's scary, I tell ya, just plain scary.

About 3 years ago, I began to purchase only organic milk for my family. And while yes, it is more expensive than conventional milk, I feel more comfortable with organic because of it's lack of growth hormones & anti-biotics. It almost makes me wish that I could find a source of raw milk. I'm sure if I looked around (we are just 10 minutes from Amish communities), I could find a source of raw milk. I've also been trying to buy only organic meats, however, without driving too far out of my way it's proving to be a bit more difficult. I can easily find & purchase organic beef (Laura's Lean brand is a fave) and chicken products, I'd love to find affordable organic pork. We eat a lot of pork: ham, bacon, sausage, loin, etc.

Anyway, back to vegetable gardening....I've been working on a rough draft of a garden plan. In years past, I've planted 18-24 tomato plants. Too many for a family, where I'm the only one who eats them fresh. However, I do can them...err, I've been known to can them. Tomato juice & stewed tomatoes respectively. Same goes with green beans, and homemade jams & jellies. I will be planting 12 tomato plants in the garden this year. I've got four varieties of plants that I plan to purchase from Territorial Seeds. I'll plant 3 of each type. I'll also plant 4-6 pepper plants: 2-3 bell pepper plant & 2-3 Hungarian Hot Wax peppers (Brian's favorite). I may even try a jalapeno pepper plant this year, so I can make & can a batch or two of salsa. Again, in the past, I've planted 8-12 rows of green beans, this year it will only be 6 rows. I may try to plant some potatoes again this year, too. I'll plant 1 or 2 rows of leaf lettuces, a 1/2 row of onions, and a 1/2 row of radishes. Then, I'll plant 3 or 4 "hills" of cucumbers, and if there is enough room, I'll plant a "hill" of musk melons, and maybe a "hill" of watermelons. It will depend on how much I want to cram into my garden, that we've downsized a little, over the last couple of years. I've got Concord grapes, red & black raspberries, & blueberries planted as well. Those are in addition to the apple, pear, peach, & plum trees we planted 3 years ago. I am so hoping to get a nice crop of apples & pears this year. I'd also like to add to the apple trees, a Honeycrisp apple or two, to be exact, and possibly another plum tree.

Not sure if you're seeing a plan unfolding here or not. But eventually, after Brian is able to get his shop/pole barn built, I'd like to add a few chickens, and perhaps some goats, and a steer (for beef), and a hog (for pork). I know this will be a lot of work, especially in our Ohio winters, but I would love to be as self sufficient as we possibly can be, in the next 3-5 years. I think as the kids get older, and can help out more, it is an attainable goal.

Anyway, while I do love winter and snow, I am getting ready for spring and everything she has in store for me & my family. Really looking forward to planting, and canning this year. Weeding...ehh..not so much.

Love & hugs to you all!

No comments: