Wednesday, January 19, 2011

2 hour delay?!!? REALLY?!?!!

At approximately 8:20 a.m. my phone rang. It was the school district's instant alert system. Apparently, between 6:30 & 8:20 this morning, they discovered the roads were slippery!! Really?! After getting rain, and having melted snow & slush refreeze, the roads suddenly became slippery?! Nothing like waiting til the last minute either. Half of the elementary school kids were already on their respective buses, and will be at school all day, while those elementary school kids who were not of their buses yet, or get dropped off by mom or dad, have a 2 hour delay. The delay only effects the elementary schools, as the middle & high schools day begins at 7:20ish.

Why bother calling the delay at all?! I just don't get how our superintendent, and God knows I adore him, comes to the decision to call a delay or close altogether. I mean, how different were the road conditions from earlier in the morning, when the middle & high school kids were being picked up, til when the elementary school kids were getting picked up? Did they change that drastically in that short amount of time? In my opinion, he should have just let school carry on today like normal. Tomorrow should be interesting as well. They are calling for anywhere from 2-6" of snow to begin falling around 10 am or so. I bet they dismiss early...or maybe not. Mr. Superintendent isn't what you call...consistent. *sigh*

Anyway, my plans today are to go to the bank, get groceries, pick up kidlets from school, come home & make dinner, & then go to Market Day tonight. Yay me!! Just not feeling it today!! lol

Love & hugs to you all!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm not normally in the habit of defending the Hilborn...but I will say, our steps yesterday got significantly slicker in that 2 hours. I went in to pick Mags and Liam and the ladies in the office said the bus drivers were actually the ones to push not picking up any more kids. They were having trouble stopping on the ice and were afraid they might hit kids waiting too close to the road. Which was a good to know, my kids and and I had a nice long talk this morning about waiting REALLY far back from the road in the winter. :)