Okay, after have some "issues" with some science homework last night, tonight we're dealing with math homework. I don't know if it's that I'm getting old, or if teaching has just changed that much since I was in the 3rd grade, but I gotta tell you....the science homework last night??!! It totally sucked out the wazoo!! And now we're dealing with writing out numbers in the hundred thousands, ten thousands, etc. in both word and standard forms! That part is the easy part, but when you have to explain the difference been the hundred thousands bricks of James' apartment building to that of Hannah's apartment building (OH I just love word problems), and his bricks are written as 41 ten thousands and Hannah's are written as 213,835 bricks, it can get a little tricky.
Now the tricky part isn't me figuring out the difference, it's trying to explain it to my kids, without actually doing the work for them. How does one do that??! Especially when they keep telling me over and over again, "I don't get it, Mommy." So how do I handle it?! Well, I don't....I told them to wait until Daddy gets home from work and ask him!!
Back to the science homework from hell.....I've talked to several different parents between last night and this morning. We were all perplexed by the homework. But you know what just about sent me over the edge?!?! The practice spelling test(s) I gave my son last night. He took one test and missed 5 regular words, and only one of the bonus words. So I give him some ideas and hints on how to remember how to spell words like science, social studies, Wednesday, and music. The second test he got most of the words he'd missed before correct, but then missed some of the easier words. I was getting so frustrated, a little with him because of his "I can't do it" attitude, but more with myself, because I really had no idea as to what or how to help him remember the words. By the time he went to bed, I was almost in tears I was so frustrated.
So starting on Monday, I'm going to make the kids write their new spelling words 3 times each, after they get their regular homework done. They're not going to like it, but I don't really care. On Tuesdays, they take a practice test in class. If they get them all right, then they don't have to take the test on Friday. So that will be our new goal; to have them both get all the words right on Tuesday. I guess we'll see how it goes on Monday. I really need to set up separate areas for the kids to their homework; just might have to work on that this weekend!!
I'll be posting more pictures soon....the boy has a game tomorrow in one town, and the girl has to cheer at another game in a different town. His game starts at noon, and hers is at 2, but still, it's gonna be a stretch to get her there on time!!
Repeat after me...I will NOT forget my camera tomorrow...I will NOT forget my camera tomorrow...I will NOT forget my camera tomorrow...
WIS, WWA | kombucha observation
13 hours ago
1 comment:
I WILL NOT FORGET MY CAMERA...EITHER!!! LOL!!!
Post a Comment