Friday, February 18, 2011

A lot on my mind

Not sure where to start, so I guess I'll just blurt it out. Work is slowing down some for Brian. Enough to where he is getting concerned. Now, while I see where I've been making a concerted effort to cut back & save money since the first of the year, my past track record doesn't exactly give my husband much to be hopeful for as far as my spending money is concerned. I admit freely that I am a spendthrift...I love to shop, and I like to spend money. However, I can clearly see my husband's point now...the trouble is, convincing him that I do. You see, it's just not enough to say to him, "you know, honey, you're so right. I have been spending too much money, and I'm going to stop spending it so willy-nilly." First of all, he'd just look at me, then roll his eyes, and mumble under his breath..."whatever." Second of all, he tends to bring past mistakes into every conversation we have about money and how I spend it. I can't stand that!! I don't do that to him, and I don't consider it to be "fighting fair" when he does it. The way I see it, there is nothing I can do to change things I've done, good or bad, in the past, so why bring it up, over and over and over again. The only thing it does is bring me down.

Anyway, for my husband, and I think for most people in general, actions speak louder than words. It's not always just enough to say "I love you." Sometimes you have to show the person how you feel. So I guess as far as my spending habits are concerned, I will have to show him, rather than tell him what I'm doing or how I'm doing. I am adamant about doing better with our finances, as well as doing more to save money. One of the biggest things I've done is paid every bill on time...sometimes even early, since the beginning of this year. In the past, I admit, I was lazy about it. However, even I grew tired of wondering what bills had been paid, and when. The other thing I've done is made sure I recorded every check & debit into the check book. This has saved us money by not being charged transfer fees, if our bank had to transfer money from savings to checking. I mean, I love having overdraft protection, but it's just easier if we transfer the money ourselves...and cheaper too. Our bank charges $10 each time they have to do the transfer. That can add up quickly!! There are many things I'm trying to do to save money, or when I have to spend it, spend it more wisely. So, I am hoping that, in time, he will see the changes as well.

These are some of the things that I do to try and save a little money:
  1. I make a weekly menu plan each week. I try to plan as many "from scratch" meals as I can. We do partake in the occasional frozen pizza. Someday I'm hoping to make a pizza from scratch.
  2. I'm using coupons again...and only for the foods & products we buy. Sure, from time to time, I'll use a coupon to try a product, sometimes I become a fan, but more often than not, I don't.
  3. I've been turning the heat way down during the day, especially with the temps starting to warm up, and on sunny days as well.
  4. Making a whole hearted concerted effort to turn off lights when we leave a room!!
  5. Plan all my errands for one day. This has already saved us money on gas for my vehicle. I've been trying to stay home as much as possible, and the winter weather really has helped with that. But not only is it saving gas & money, but also wear & tear on my truck.
  6. Keeping bills paid on time.
  7. Keeping check book up to date & balanced.
These are some of the things I'm hoping to do to save money this year:
  1. Use our clothes lines more often.
  2. Get our cats spayed &/or neutered; we don't need any more kittens. They cost money to feed, even though they are good hunters. Three kitties is enough!
  3. Invest in a surge protector/power strip for our TV, Wii, DVD, etc. so we can turn it off at night, and when we're not here.
  4. Keep A/C temp set higher, so it doesn't run as much.
  5. Planting a garden for fresh produce.
  6. Canning and preserving as much from the garden as we possibly can, saving on the food budget!
  7. Shop for the kids clothes at Goodwill or other thrift stores more often. However, it's especially hard to find nice things for my son.
  8. Pack a cooler and/or a snack bag to take to Andy's ball games this spring & summer, to save on concession stand trips.
  9. Plan ahead and save up for larger purchases.
  10. Eliminate as many of the prepackaged "convenience" type food products from our diets. From scratch always tastes better, and it's healthier too! (I do have several boxes of pasta salads, potatoes, mac & cheese in the pantry to use up though.)
There are many other ideas I am hoping to put into use, especially as I become more organized & clutter free. My goal is to show my husband that I can do this, and work together toward our goals.

Love & hugs to you all!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You can do it, Ang!
As for the ballgame concession trips, I started doing that years ago and I firmly believe it totally saves us money. We always buy candy at Costco or on sale and take a bag of goodies with us to games. Just yesterday, I bought some clearance valentines fundips at walmart...36 of them for $1.50 to put in that goodie bag. ;)

Coolwhip said...

Thanks Cheryl!! I know I can do it too!! We've still got candy from Christmas...LOL!! I am planning on hitting the after Easter sales...M7M's don't go bad, do they?!? =)