That's the only way to describe how I'm feeling today. Just pure & total exhaustion. Hubby & I made the trip down to West Virginia yesterday morning and then back again last night. We left here at approximately 4am...yes, I said 4 A.M.!!!!! Anyway, after missing one of our exits on the way down, we finally made it to my mom's little house in the "town" where she grew up. We had just enough time to pee, change into our clothes, and for me to quickly do my hair & make up, before heading to the high school, for my father's funeral service.
It was a nice service, although the preacher did sound like he had a mouthful of marbles. It was a somewhat brief service, which in a way, I guess, was good. He got a full military burial, complete with a 21 gun salute, and the playing of TAPS. I didn't cry; the only time I came close to tears, was when the bugler started playing. I got to see some of my family, from my father's side, that I hadn't seen in about 30 years...since I was about 8, maybe 9 years old. I was a bit irritated by the fact that no one really approached my sister and I, offering their condolences to us, as they were doing for, what I refer to as my father's 2nd family. But on one hand, most people didn't even know my sister & I, on the other hand NO ONE from our father's 2nd family bothered to introduce us, or even say, this is Jeni, one of Roger's daughters from his 1st marriage. My sister was somewhat hurt by this, but I took everything with a grain of salt.
It's been made perfectly clear to my sister & I, that our half siblings aim to retain most, if not all of our father's possessions. My sister is prepared to fight for her share. I, on the other hand, want none of it. What he has isn't worth fighting over, and what I needed he can no longer give me. Besides, my biggest concern right now is making sure my sister & I don't end up having to pay one single penny toward any bills, etc. he might have left.
The best parts of the day, for me, was having spent the complete day with my husband. We got to take in some of the gorgeous scenery of West Virginia, including a brilliant sunset on the way home, talk, and just enjoy each other's company. We talked, we laughed, and we bickered (but only on the way down, after we missed that exit). All in all, it was a great day, but after being up for almost 24 hours, driving over 700 miles round trip, and sitting almost all day, it amazes me how that can be so completely exhausting.
I went and picked the kids up around noon today. I will be forever and eternally grateful to Tammy for keeping the kids for us. It was just such a load off knowing that they were well taken care of, safe, and happy, while we were gone. They were so happy, in fact, that they didn't want to come home with me. But alas...tomorrow we go to the fair with Tammy and her girls!!
And I can't wait....I just hope to get a little more sleep tonight!!
WIS, WWA | kombucha observation
13 hours ago
1 comment:
what a day! I'm so sorry that people are so cruel! I know how it is though, my dad killed himself when I was 6 and since then my brother and I have had very little, if any contact with his side of the family. To me, it's like they all died right along with him. And the craziest part is they were upset with me when I didn't go to my Granfathers or my Grandmothers funeral..uh, I was 17, didn't know them and I was supposed to be sad..for what? That would be some nerve if they thought that you and your sister would have to pay for anything...why, he didn't help pay for you guys growing up, why should you have to pay for him in death! I'm still praying for you and sending you hugs today! Take a nice long nap and relax! Love you!!!
Post a Comment