One evening, last week, when Brian got home, he told me that one of the Kroger service guys had told him that the store I go to, had frozen Butterball turkeys, marked down to .25/lb!! Apparently, a large stash of these turkeys were found in the warehouse and sent to this particular store, and the meat department manager was told to do whatever he had to to get rid of them!!
So the next day, I loaded up the kids, and we headed out for Kroger. We picked up a few other things we needed, that I had coupons for, or that were good deals, and then we added two turkeys to our cart. I would have gotten more, but the space in my deep freeze was very limited. The sign read "Butterball Turkeys- .25 per pound - NO LIMIT!!" So, I dug through the case, looking for the biggest ones I could find. I got one that weighed 19.88 pounds, for $4.97 and the other one was 19.52 pounds, for $4.88!! Upon inspection, I read that the 'sell by' date is 6/30/2011, which is why it was so urgent to "get rid of" these turkeys!! However, most people know that a frozen turkey will still be good for 6-9 months after the sell by date expires. And to be honest, I've roasted turkeys, in the past, that were well beyond 9 months after they've expired, with no problems. So...I now have our Christmas turkey in the freezer!! And instead of the traditional cookout for Father's Day this year, I'm going to prepare a traditional turkey dinner instead. The only ingredient I do not have on hand, is a bag of stuffing, which I will pick up when I do my grocery shop later this week.
I will freeze a lot of the leftover meat, but plan on making turkey & noodles, and/or turkey & dumplings using some leftovers next week. I will also make turkey stock & freeze that for use in soups in the fall & winter.
WIS, WWA | kombucha observation
13 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment