Monday, June 27, 2011

No Menu Plan Today....yet - VBS - & The Good 'Ol Days...

The kids are at Vacation Bible School today and hopefully the rest of the week. It's giving me 3 hours of alone time to get things done...like: laundry, dishes, decluttering, computer play time, cleaning, dusting, vacuuming, watching tv, listening to music, reading, grocery shopping, etc. I hope the kids have a great time, and enjoy learning more about Jesus & The Holy Bible. I gave them each $1 in change to give for offering, if one is taken up. The churches who putting on this week's VBS are both having financial issues, which isn't surprising at all with today's economy being what it is.

I currently have laundry going, and the dishwasher running. After I finish this post, I will be doing every woman's favorite job in the world....cleaning the bathrooms!! YAY ME!! I am also going to work on my menu plan for this week, but not sure if I'll get it done & posted here on my blog. I think we'll have brats, fried potatoes, & salads for supper tonight, though.

And over the last several weeks, I've been enjoying watching The Waltons on GMC. I so loved this show when I was a girl, and I still love it today. I so wish that we, as a people, as a community, and as a nation, could go back to those ideals. Where people came first, not things or money. When people made do with what they had or what they were given, and didn't complain, or expect the government to pick up the tab. People worked & saved for things they needed and/or wanted, and didn't go into debt trying to keep up with the Joneses, or make themselves feel better. When neighbors truly looked out for one another. When people, families, communities rallied for our Nation, made sacrifices for their families, friends, & neighbors. When did we go from a people helping people, to a people looking out for only ourselves? It's sad really, when you compare the kids of today with the kids of yesterday. It reaffirms my/our decision to put off getting our kids cell phone, iPods, laptops, etc. Our children, mine included, have become a generation of indoor kids, who'd rather play video games or be on the computer, than be outside enjoying nature, wild flowers, the sunshine, riding bikes, running through the sprinkler (we don't have a pool), having a picnic, etc. I am not saying all kids are like this, but I know in my heart, that if I were to ask my kids to choose between going outside to play, or playing games on the Wii, they'd choose the Wii hands down!! I could go on & on about this, but I'll spare you all the pain of reading my rants on this subject. I am going to do whatever I can to remedy this situation in my home, and I'm going to start by making a list of chores for my kids. And then we'll make up a plan to where TV & video game time is there, but not all consuming. We have math workbooks to work in, and tons of books to read. We can have picnic lunches, water balloon fights, and bike rides. And the wild black berries are starting to come on, so we'll be taking walks to pick some of those as well! I think we'll all benefit for this. I want my family, but especially my kids, to learn that it is truly better to give than to receive, and that when you are giving, it should be with a pure heart, not one that expects something in return. I will keep you posted on how this goes!! It will definitely be a work in progress!!

Love & hugs to you all!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our DD was 14 before we got her a cell phone. It's not a smartphone, just a plain old regular phone so she can call home. She does have a laptop, but only because she and DH both have so much online homework/studying to do. We don't have any game systems in our house at all.
(I am a big fan of Little House on the Prairie. I understand what you mean about neighbors helping neighbors, putting other people before "stuff." It makes me sad, too.)
On a more positive note, tell your kiddoes to have FUN FUN FUN at VBS this week.

Anonymous said...

I miss you! Hope you're all right, and that it is merely computer problems keeping you away. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!