This is the big window, that is above the front door, in our foyer. We have discussed for years, putting up blinds to cover this window & the 1/2 round, to help curb energy expenses, especially in the summer time. You see, this window faces west, which means in the summer, around 4 or 5 o'clock, in the afternoon, that hot summer sun just beats down, and well, the A/C runs almost non-stop from about then, until 11 or so at night. And that's with having the temperature set at 75* or higher. The A/C unit for the 2nd floor, which we set at 78*, almost never gets a break. And all because of this window. There are blinds on all of the windows upstairs.
I love this window. It adds so much character to our house. It lets in that precious sun light, but in July that sunlight is almost unbearable. I fought Brian for years on whether to put a blind on the window or not. I didn't want to because I thought it would look absolutely ridiculous & tacky. However, with his current work situation, I felt it was time to look at every aspect of saving whatever we can on utilities. In other words, I caved. Finally. In fact, I was the one who brought it up this year. And he jumped on the chance to get the blind purchased & installed. The blind for the 1/2 round will need to be special ordered. I got the big blind at Lowe's for $84.74. Brian installed it on Mother's Day. It doesn't look near as bad as I thought it would either. In fact, Brian mentioned building me a plant ledge/shelf for under the window. I love that idea, but that would also require my having to climb a ladder to water any plants that would be up there. Hmmm...I'll have to think about that.
Having the blinds up there will also help in the winter time as well. They will help insulate the windows, and block the bitter cold Northwest winds of winter, thus helping us save on heating costs as well. Anyway, I am hoping that the custom 1/2 round is less than $100, when we do order it. And I am confident that we will recoup our money spent on the blinds within one year. We shall see!!
No comments:
Post a Comment