After hing a few days without rain, here in our neck of the woods, Brian was finally able to get my garden tilled yesterday. After that, I got busy planting. I planted 14 tomato plants, 6 pepper plants (hot & bell), 1 tiny hill of zucchini, 4 rows of green beans, 2 rows each of lettuce, radishes, & onions, 3 small hills of pickle bush cucumbers, 1 hill of sugar pumpkins, and 1 hill of sugar baby watermelons. If I only get a few pumpkins from my one hill, it will be enough for me to make enough pumpkin puree for 4-6 pies. And if I only get a co melons from my one hill planted, I will be a very happy camper.
I also was able to get seven hanging baskets made and 2 big planters filled, from all the flowers I've purchased over the last several weeks. I still have a few empty planters, and enough leftover flowers to l them up. The teachers & staff surprised me (and the other PTO officers) last Friday at the Volunteer breakfast. We got beautiful wall hangings, and we each got a gorgeous rose bush to plant. Mine is a bright pink color, and it smells divine!! I need to find a good spot for it in our yard somewhere.
I also checked out our fruit trees, my berry brambles, & my grape vines. The pear & peach trees, barring any catastrophes, should yield enough fruit for me to can at least one batch of quarts per fruit. The black raspberries are in full bloom, and I hope to get enough to make at least one batch of jam. The blueberry bushes have bloomed and are now forming their berries. My red raspberries, of the 4 plants planted, only one leafed out and is currently blooming. I bought 3 new plants to replace the ones that didn't make it. I still need to get those planted. And my grape vines look wonderful. Again, I am hoping to get enough grapes to make enough juice, for at least one batch of jelly...and maybe a few for me to eat as well. I love concord grapes!! I think the Honeycrisp apple tree that was planted on Mother's Day is off to a great start. It seems happy where it's at, and I am looking forward to some nice apples in a year or two.
WIS, WWA | kombucha observation
13 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment