Friday, September 11, 2009

A Bonfire, the New Addtion, and Labor Day

Last Saturday evening, while I was preparing our dinner (the kids were at MIL's house), Brian built a fire in the back yard. He had spent the day mowing, and taking out trash, and his way of putting a relaxing spin on the day, was to build a big bonfire. I couldn't wait for dinner to eaten, and the sun to set so we could sit out by the fire as long as we wanted to. Until it got too chilly or until we decided it was time for bed. There were no children to be watchful of, and the dog simply laid down between our chairs after we got settled in for the evening.
We had such a wonderful evening. Peaceful. Relaxing. Much needed. And anxiously awaiting another one very soon. I snapped these shots while I was cooking our dinner...he had no idea I was taking pictures. Of course, when the kids got home and realized we'd had a fire, they were none too happy with us, to say the least!! But it's all
good. Someday they'll realize the importance of having time alone with their spouse, even if it is something as simple as building a bonfire in the back yard.













This little girl right here....not the one in glasses, but the one wearing stripes, is about 8-9 weeks old. While the kids were at Grandma's 2 little kittens were found on her property, while they were picking blackberries. That was last Friday evening. Apparently, the little kittens were nowhere to be found on Saturday. So image Grandma's surprise when she woke up to meowing on her back deck, bright & early Sunday morning. And when Sarah got up and realized the kitty was back, well, that was all she wrote! If the kitten wasn't following Sarah everywhere she went, then Sarah simply picked up the kitty and took it with her. By the time Brian & I got to his mom's to pick up the kids, Sarah and "Elizabeth" had bonded. And my big bad burly husband, who by the way, has absolutely no problem telling me "no" when I want something, caved and let her bring this little booger home with us. He caved so far in that when we got ready to leave, and it was dark, he was crawling on the ground, with flash light in hand, looking for the kitten under his mom's deck. On the way home, we explained to Sarah that Shadow (our dog) was NOT going to be happy with us, and that he might run the kitty off, or possibly even hurt it. She said she understood, and she promised to take care of "Elizabeth" everyday. Which, to her credit, she has done for the last 5 days. She even cleaned out the little kennel/cage we're keeping her in for now (for her own protection from the dog), until she gets a little bigger. We'll just wait and see how long that lasts. LOL I'm not fond of what Sarah wants to name the kitten. "Elizabeth." I don't like giving pets people names...although I did name our demented Heinz 57 dog, Lucy. But I digress....Grandma came up with the name Roamer for the little kitty. I love it...and it suits her. She likes to roam around. Andy likes the name, as does Brian. It just seems to fit her more so than "Elizabeth." All of us call her Roamer...all of us except Sarah. I am hopeful that eventually, Roamer will be the name that sticks.


On Labor Day, after planning to stay at home and rest, we decided to head to Hilliard, to Pam & Tom's house (my sister & brother in law), for an impromptu family get together & cookout. Tom grilled t-bones for the guys, chicken & hot dogs for the women & children. There was cheesy potatoes, a nice green salad, veggies & dip, chips, mashed potatoes, rolls, and fresh berries. I was told I could bring a side dish or a dessert. I opted to bring dessert. I made a pan of rice crispy treats, and some brownies. But there were other desserts to be had...peanut butter pie, chocolate chip cookies, and cupcakes. We all ate like pigs and it was soooo good!! After eating, everyone ended up out in the front yard playing badminton. I didn't play...I chose to take pictures to capture these memories for all to enjoy. It was a good day, and though we kind of didn't want to go at first, I'm so glad we did. Thanks to Grandma for helping me twist Brian's arm into going. ;o)

On the right, we have Kelly, looking so sporty and ready to go. On the left is Cathy, and her soon to be Uncle Kent (Debbie is now engaged!).










Kayla is sporting her shades, thinking she's all that!! Mary is relaxing on the porch with Grandma & me. She really didn't want me to take her picture, as if you couldn't tell!!


You all know the dude on the right....yup, that's my Brian. Doesn't he look a little smug in that shot?! I thought so too!!
That's Grandma getting ready to smack that birdy across the net! She'd probably kill me if she knew I was posting this picture!





These two guys capture the essence of Labor Day. They both put in a couple hours worth of hard "work" on the badminton court, and decided to relax and swing on the porch. Our nephew Ben is wearing all read, and that's my boy, Andy in the black & red. The two little ones sitting between them is Blitzen, the Corgi, and Shaylee, the Sheltie. We had a great day, and even though there wasn't much time to rest & relax before heading back to work & school the next day, I am so glad we were all able to get together and spend time eating and having fun!!
I took many, many pictures on Labor Day, but only shared a few here. Even I know this post is picture overload if ever there was one!! lol
Love & hugs!!

No comments: